Disclaimer:

(If you came searching for ALO's Barbeque, click the word. It's a good song, that's why I borrowed it's lyrics.)

Tuesday, December 8, 2009

In case you're wondering about the title...

I wanted to call my blog "Underdog Victorious" from a song by Jill Sobule. It's about a boy who is teased as a kid but grows up to believe in himself. And many a day I feel like an underdog--albeit an over-privileged, heretofore upper-middle class, over-educated one. And sometimes I'm feeling just a wee bit victorious. Unfortunately, or due to my underdog persona, the blog page was taken by some fool who hasn't used it in four years. Bitch.

So I thought about some other songs that I like. One day I'm driving in my car, when I hear this compelling song that grabs me.  
"And it's clear to me that this life is gonna be/All about the dangling possibilities that keep turning in and turning out."
I made a point to sort of remember the time, but wasn't sure exactly when it started. I went home and searched WXPN's website and looked up their lists of songs by time, but it hadn't been posted yet. A few days later I tried again, but had a little trouble as I didn't know the title and had to remember the words from the song that had grabbed me. I eventually found "Barbeque" by "Animal Liberation Orchestra" (who???)

Well by now you'd think I'm a music junkie and the fact is, I'm not. I often don't listen because music distracts me from all the busyness in my head. But when I do find an album I like, I put it in the car player and listen to it to death. Over and over, with the unfortunate result that I end up connecting it to whatever is going on at the time which is usually bad (see: underdog persona), say like commuting to a job I don't like. Months later I try the CD and get unpleasant flashbacks. But this album, this song, well it has no unpleasant flashbacks--just a driveway moment, sitting in my car listening until to the last strain of the song plays, thinking about the dangling possibilities...

2 comments:

  1. Not only has the silly fool not used it in four years, but in actuality it hasn't been used at all, and worse yet, titled the blog something entirely different. You were robbed, google needs to have some sort of appeal process for blogsquating.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "silly fool"...you were much nicer than me. :-)

    ReplyDelete