Disclaimer:

(If you came searching for ALO's Barbeque, click the word. It's a good song, that's why I borrowed it's lyrics.)

Saturday, March 27, 2010

Kind of like this house

My husband's cousin was visiting today. Frank, a sweet, well-meaning family man, who nonetheless tends to put his foot in his mouth. Which I'll get to in a minute. Let me tell you about Frank. He asks about our family, he even listens, but most of all he really likes to talk about himself and throw around jargon uniquely specific to his arcane interests as though we'd all understand. (Or maybe he really thinks we do understand?) Either way, I usually nod my head not bothering to ask the meaning of "kerf," for example. After all, it would only lead down the slippery slope of a topic which--interesting though it might be in brevity--would prove less sufferable in depth.

Frank, on the other hand, is an avid learner. When I mentioned the word "propinquity," partially because I knew he'd bite, he brightened, eyes alert, like an eager puppy. I could almost see his ears perking up. "Propinquity? What would be the meaning of that word?" I knew that he was filing it away in some mental toolbox to fit into an appropriate conversation in the near future. Maybe that's why he'd made it so far in his corporation. That, a moral fortitude, and luck.

Let's face it, we've all had bad luck recently. Even Frank braces himself each time his company conducts more job cuts. The big four nine, he tells us, had been a bigger milestone in his life than turning 50. After 49, apparently, his company cannot lay him off without a damn good reason.

Okay, but there's luck and there's luck. Or maybe a well-planned life and a haphazard life. Which is to say, my husband prepared himself for a virtuous yet lucrative career. Unfortunately, he married a lovely, creative, intelligent woman (moi!) who took a more erratic career path. In fact she's still picking her way through the woods, trying to forge a path towards the golden apple, or some other fairy tale aspiration...a house built of candy? Wait, I must be channeling my children. A room full of porridge? Perhaps not, but certainly a more comfortable bed. Sorry, I'm meandering again. Where is that trail? Oh, yeah. My husband, he planned well, but got bad luck. Frank, if all else fails, at least he married a doctor. He loses his job? Honestly, he wouldn't be trying to figure out whether his kids qualified for CHIP or medical assistance. (Art by Jymi Cliche.)

But about that foot in the mouth thing. During his recent visit, Frank was subject to my son Kyle's wild lamenting over not being able to afford the paint-ball battle his brother and friends were joining the next day. You see Kyle had ignored our relentless efforts to teach him to save his money. He's more likely to instantly spend it before it even reaches his pockets. Frank nodded knowingly. "It's hard to teach the kids these days. As a kids we lived on one side of the street, the houses across the road were water-front homes and by definition our friends there were always more well-off than we were. In fact, our house was humble, you know, kind of like this house..." Ouch! Did I mention Frank and Dear Hubby are in the same profession? Double ouch.

6 comments:

  1. Nice.... gotta appreciate a well thrown (if not obvious) dart. I have the same feeling and situation in my life.

    No "career" to speak of, renting a house in an extremely affluent area and wondering how we are going to make it through the month, let alone, get Ryan into collage and Erin and I into retirement. But such is life. I try hard to think of my life and path through it as a foundation (either inspiration or cautionary tale) for my son Ryan. As I approach 50 wondering what I'm going to do when I grow up. I sit back and remember those things I want to impart and warn my son about life. I know that he will take those things as he see's them rather than as I "intend" them.
    I try to teach him that life is what you do with whatever you are dealt, and those hands are not always even, the cards we pick up along the way don't always improve our hand. Try o remember to play the cards you were delt rahter than wishing for different cards. Be happy your are playing the game, and if your lucky you will be playing that game amongst friends.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely, Richard. Would you like to guest post the next entry? (Then invite your friends, I might get a wider audience.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is beautiful. Love, you write and speak most eloquently. I am jealous because I'm not doing it. But you do it because you are doing it so effectively and beautifully. J.

    ReplyDelete
  4. humble is a virtue so your house is virtuous. have you seen how many waterfront properties are in foreclosure?

    ReplyDelete
  5. what's wrong with having a humble house? Why do you care how someone else views it? ithe "ouch" comes from inside of you. You have so much more richness in your life than the stature of your house and it's furnishings.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Actually, not sure he said humble, although I think that's what he meant. The fact is he has a gorgeous large house, a high paying job, beautiful furniture he built in his spare time, a wife with a job and well, many things we don't.

    But you all are right. The anxiety comes from me. I want those things, I guess. Except for the wife part. A job I enjoyed that paid well would do. Anybody want to pay me to write?

    ReplyDelete