Disclaimer:

(If you came searching for ALO's Barbeque, click the word. It's a good song, that's why I borrowed it's lyrics.)

Thursday, January 12, 2012

Transgender Girl Scouts, Oh My!

If you're trans and you see a skinny Girl Scout, run!

Last fall a girl scout troop, after controversy, welcomed a seven year old transgender girl to their troop. Now, Taylor, a teen girl scout has launched a campaign to protest by refusing to buy Girl Scout Cookies.

To be honest I haven't listened to much of her video. I know, I'd make a stupid reporter. Guess that's why I'm a blogger. As a mom of a transgender girl who faces discrimination every day, I can't listen. How can people advocate isolating these brave children who assert their identities despite often tremendous opposition, even revulsion? Just the other day Ruthie told me that often in her classes teachers ask their students to choose a partner and that she never gets picked. Poor thing, she wasn't even sobbing like she might have done a year ago; such treatment has become old hat.

It boils down to this: people are inclined to have opinions about things they know nothing about. Think about it, you are, too. One day I'll tell you I'm sure we should get out of Afghanistan, and the next I hear an Afghan man being interviewed begging us to stay. Sure, I'm an advocate for peace on earth, but what do I really know about the situation in Afghanistan? (I don't even know how to define a person from Afghanistan. Afghani? Spell check didn't like that one.)

Let's make a New Year's Resolution to step back from strong opinions based on no knowledge, to ask some questions without judging, to be open to learning. You can bet Taylor has never read anything explaining transgender identity in children. I'd send her first to TransYouth Family Allies.

Meanwhile, try on Plato for size:
As for me, all I know is that I know nothing. Republic, 354c,
       (conclusion of book I)
And, if we live by one tenet, it should be:  
Be compassionate.
And if we live by two, let's follow the Girl Scout Law:
The Girl Scout Law
I will do my best to be honest and fair,
friendly and helpful,
considerate and caring,
courageous and strong, and
responsible for what I say and do,
and to respect authority,
use resources wisely,
make the world a better place, and
be a sister to every Girl Scout.
 Oh, and third,
Buy lots of Girl Scout Cookies!!!

1 comment: